See our complete list of top database security vendors
McAfee’s Data Center Security Suite offers comprehensive database discovery, assessment and threat protection capabilities as well as a non-intrusive architecture that minimizes performance overhead. However, the security suite has no data classification and access management functions, and data protection comes from third-party products. It’s a good candidate for McAfee shops, but perhaps too much for anyone else.
McAfee Data Center Security Suite for Databases offers real-time protection for databases from threats and exploits. It comprises several McAfee products, including:
- McAfee Vulnerability Manager for Databases to automatically discover all databases and assess potential vulnerabilities
- McAfee Database Activity Monitoring, which provides real-time visibility into all database activity, including privileged user access
- McAfee Virtual Patching for Databases to protect databases from potential breaches prior to installing vendor-released patch updates
Together, the McAfee Data Center security tools for databases provide unified database security across physical, virtual, and cloud environments.
Database Security Features Rated
Databases served: Very good
McAfee Data Center Security Suite for Databases supports:
- Oracle version 8.1.7 and later, running on Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, Linux, HP-UX, Microsoft Windows, including Oracle RAC and Oracle Exadata
- Microsoft SQL 2000 and later on any supported Windows platform
- IBM DB2 LUW 9.5, and later
- Sybase ASE 12.5 and later on all supported platforms
- Teradata 12, 13, 13.10, 14,15, and 15.1 on Linux
- MySQL 5.1, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7 on Linux
- MariaDB version 5.5 (5.5.32 and later), 10.0 and 10.1 on Linux
- IBM DB2 for Z/OS with CorreLog
- IBM DB2 for iSeries (AS/400) with Raz-Lee
- SAP HANA SPS 09, Revision 91 and later
- PostgreSQL 9.2 and later on Linux
Problem solved: Good
McAfee Data Center Security Suite for Databases can detect insecure PL/SQL code and weak passwords, and will conduct deep memory analysis of SQL execution plans.
McAfee packs plenty of features into its suite of database security tools.
Implementation and Management: Fair
Security Suite for Databases needs to be integrated with McAfee ePO software for end-to-end security visibility and management without blind spots.
Support: Very good
User comments on support are favorable.
“McAfee support has been great,” said a government Network Security Analyst.
McAfee Data Center Security Suite for Databases is focused more on on-premises deployments, though it can access some cloud databases.
High-risk violations can be configured to automatically terminate suspicious sessions and quarantine malicious users, allowing time for the security team to investigate the intrusion.