According to The Asbury Park Press' Bill Bowman, hackers recently accessed the personal data of approximately 36,000 people who either worked with or visited Army commands formerly located at Fort Monmouth. The breach was discovered on December 6, and the affected databases were immediately taken offline.
Bowman reports that U.S. Army CECOM spokesperson Andricka Thomas said the breach "may have affected CECOM, C4ISR (Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance) and nongovernmental personnel as well as persons who may have visited Fort Monmouth."
"The information included 'a mix of full names, dates and places of birth, Social Security numbers, home addresses, and salaries' that were stored in databases maintained by the CECOM located at Aberdeen Proving Ground, Md., Thomas said," Bowman writes. "She said that at a minimum, names and Social Security numbers were accessed."
"A letter from CECOM commander, Maj. Gen. Robert S. Ferrell indicated that the information had been obtained from CECOM files at the Software Engineering Center and Fort Monmouth's visitor records," writes TechNewsDaily's Ben Weitzenkorn. "Both CECOM and C4ISR have since been relocated to Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland. The army will offer free credit-monitoring services to those affected."