As part of an ongoing series of cyber attacks against U.S. banks in response to the "Innocence of Muslims" YouTube video, the Web site for Capital One was disabled yesterday by a cyber attack.

"The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters, the mysterious attackers who blocked access to the websites of six major U.S. banks over the course of 10 days, are launching attacks again after having taken a week off," writes TechNewsDaily's Paul Wagenseil. "'The timetable for October's second week attack program is announced,' read a posting by the Cyber Brigades on Pastebin.com. 'Tuesday 10/9/2012 : attack to Capital One Financial Corp site, capitalone.com. Wednesday 10/10/2012 : attack to SunTrust Banks, Inc, suntrust.com. Thursday 10/11/2012 : attack to Regions Financial Corp site, regions.com.'"

"Pam Girardo, a spokeswoman for McLean, Virginia-based Capital One, confirmed in an e-mail statement ... that the bank’s online systems were disrupted and later that most online services had been restored," write Bloomberg's Chris Strohm and Eric Engleman.

"SunTrust spokesman Mike McCoy said Oct. 9 that SunTrust is aware of the threats and is working to limit online disruption for bank customers. 'But we will decline to offer specifics,' he added," writes BankInfoSecurity's Tracy Kitten. "And Regions spokeswoman Evelyn Mitchell said Regions is already bracing for an Oct. 11 attack, but did not say what, if any, steps the bank was taking to inform customers. 'We are aware that the group claiming responsibility for these attacks has identified Regions as one of its targets,' she said. 'We take online security seriously and are taking every measure to protect the company and our customers.'"